Sunday 3 February 2013

The Benefits Of A Quality High College Education

My Grandson is going to be 3 years old in just a couple of months, and I have been thinking very many about his education. Seeing at many regarding the eighteen to twenty-five year olds, I look I hold a legitimate reason to be concerned. Many of today's younger graduates cannot spell, none of them understand the basics of grammar, they have not view Shakespeare or any regarding the classics, they cannot write-either physically or creatively, they have no real sense of neither their own country's the past or any other country's history. They do not even have knowledge of the the past of their own state or the village in which they live. They have knowledge of nothing about music-neither the fundamentals of notation, nor the appreciation and the past of classical music.



These were all things that I was taught in school. I should also spot out that in my twelve years of schooling, I attended twenty-seven different schools all over the country. They all taught the above, so it isn't a question of region. We also had a class called Civics, where we learned how the government worked, view the Constitution regarding the United States, and the Declaration of Independence, learned related to the separation of powers, and the importance of creating wise decisions about voting. What we were not taught was that only the educator's opinion is correct, or that everything we view and hear within the press should be true.



Instead, we were taught to make our own judgments based on independent studies creating use of many different sources. We had debates where we were divided up and provided a side to argue which was mediated by our teacher, who should always ask on what do you base that statement? In other words, we were taught to ponder for ourselves, not to just follow the majority opinion which shall or shall not have any basis in fact. All of our papers, in any subject, were graded on content, spelling, correct use of grammar, and correct use of footnotes for source materials. Points were taken off for the mis-use of any regarding the above. In red ink, and with constructive criticism.



I need my grandchild to have the benefit regarding similar quality of curriculum I had. I did not attend private schools, together with the exception of one year of Person of christ School. I attended public schools and recieved a wonderful education. I need him to hold a solid background within the Humanities, which, in fact, helps us to understand the universe in which we live, and creates a sense of empathy for our fellow men. It also helps us to make our own choices and follow our own consciences when faced with difficult decisions.



I also need him to be encouraged, not only to view on his own, but to comprehend what it is he is reading. We used to be tested on reading comprehension. Without comprehension, reading ceases to be a tool for self-education later on in life. When I was can attend college, at the age of forty-eight, I finished up with a 3. That included English, History, Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, and Pre-Calculus I do not even ponder that was invented when I was in High School.



I did not depend entirely on my professor to teach me, but created good use of my books to explain to me the things which I had difficulty understanding. I was can do this due to the fact that I can comprehend what I read. I understand that today, parents are of little help within the curriculum of their children, and that teachers this day are being hamstrung by regulations which more or fewer force them to dumb down' their instruction to position regarding the slowest student. More teachers should stand up and protest this method of educating as being unfair, not only to smarter students, but also to slower ones, who should benefit more from special classes and or or trade schools. Every one does not belong in College.



The plan that every one is entitled to a college curriculum is absurd. The universe need's auto mechanics, plummers, carpenters, electricians, and construction workers as many now as when I was a child. These trades pay higher than many college professionals make. I managed to make it thirty years without a college education. I was a manager for a pamphlet publishing warehouse, I was a registered representative licensed to sell mutual funds for First Investors Corp.



I was a Stage Manager for ten years. All together with the benefit of a solid High College education. I did not attend college out of high college due to the fact that I should not afford to so. Still, I did barely well for myself. I am happy that grants and scholarships are readily available this day for students wishing to attend college, but the student should have the correct grades prior to being accepted to any college.



What's the solution? Throwing cash at the challenge does not help. It is a challenge which can only be corrected through a partnership between Educators and Parents, a revolt against the government intervention that is preventing all students from excelling. An understanding that learning a trade is not an aspect of which to be ashamed and an understanding between pupils that, if their goal is to leave to college, they shall should earn that right by keeping their grades upl. We had 3 choices when I was in school. College course, business course, and trades.



We should direct students where they should leave based on their own personal preference and desire to succeed by getting the grades. We should release real grades to students, not A for effort, Be for trying really hard, etc. That is shear nonsense and does not get ready a child for the cutthroat environment of a competetive workplace. Whether you fail you fail. Make it up in Summer college or switch to another course.



Finally, we should stop creating excuses for students who fail. Broken homes, dysfunctional families, and the poor,all existed when I was in college also. We did not make excuses for them. They neither rose above it or sunk into it. The decision was theirs and theirs alone.



We decide if we should better ourselves or succumb to our environment. I created the decision to better myself. I was not provided the choice of creating use of being poor, or being raised by a drunken and promiscuous parent as an excuse for failure. Lastly, we should bring return English like a subject that includes spelling, grammar, syntax, hyperbole, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, objective and subjective pronouns, past,present, and the dreaded dangling participles. We should teach students how to speak properly and write properly.



If I had a dime for every time I located my speech being corrected, I should be a very wealthy woman. Ironically, when teaching a foreign language, all regarding the above are explained and learned, yet, when it returns to our native tongue, I do not trust anyone even knows what those words mean. We need more emphasis on literature. In my time, that included Shakespeare, Chaucer, Beowulf, Austen, Frost, Byron, Shelley, Donne, Verne, Orwell, Whitman, Richard Wright, Langston Hughes, Willa Cather, Samuel Clemens unedited, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Franz Kafka, Dostoevsky, Melville, Tolstoy, to name just a few.



There is many to be learned from these writers. To deprive a child of these works is to doom him to ignorance. And we should bring return music. Music appreciation, notation, history. If we ever hope to have real music in our future, we should teach it in our schools.



Computers can not replace a fundamental curriculum in Music. History and Civics should be taught properly, not used as tool to brainwash our children into believing that we are an evil country. We are a good region with a wealthy history, warts and all. We have created mistakes like any other country, but our goal has always been freedom and justice for all. That shall not be achieved by telling students that we are racists, but by pointing out the errors and the efforts that have been created to correct them.



No other region has ever achieved the richness, growth, and freedom that we have. These are not bad things. Success is still likely here, but the key to that success in America is education, not welfare checks. I did not need someone to tell me to do my homework or read for exams. I knew that, if I wanted to pass, I should should do the work.



If I wanted help, I sought out my teacher, other students or other pamphlet sources to neither answer my questions or lead me to answer. If I failed a test, I went return over it and studied the fabric again. If I failed a class, I went to summer school. When I realized I did not have the means to leave to college, I switched to Business course. Until we achieve the position of curriculum compulsory to succeed in this country, it should be up to parents and educators to inspire students to should read more, to should do their homework, to should obtain the greatest likely grades, and to compete to be the greatest at whatever they decide to do.



entry-content -- and gt;.

No comments:

Post a Comment